Just like our body needs a healthy diet to function properly, we need to have a balanced diet to keep our teeth strong, prevent food decay, protect enamel and keep our gums healthy.
Eating a variety of nutritious foods from all food groups contributes to healthy teeth and gums. A balanced meal plan that includes fruits, vegetables, protein, whole grains, and dairy provides essential nutrients for optimal oral health and overall health.
You might have heard that an apple a day keeps the doctor at bay, but what if it’s the dental care you’re looking to keep your smile prettier? Nobody likes bad dental health. Bad teeth not only look bad, but they can also cause headaches, irritability, and repairs can be expensive.
Following are the food items that we need to include in our daily diet for a great oral health –
- Calcium rich foods- Milk, yogurt and cheese promotes strong teeth
Almost all know that milk is a rich source of calcium that strengthens bones and teeth. Milk lowers acidity in the mouth and prevents cavities. You can also eat calcium-rich foods such as milk, sesame seeds, and soy milk. Milk also contains vitamins C and D to strengthen teeth and gums.
- Phosphorus rich foods like eggs, fish, nuts, beans
Phosphorus is an essential element in the human body. It helps with everything from energy production to bone health. It is also crucial for strengthening the enamel of the teeth, nails, and cartilage, improving digestion and muscle strength. Under certain health conditions, foods rich in phosphorus can raise blood levels and cause more health problems. Your doctor will tell you if you need to monitor your phosphorus intake.
- Foods rich in Vitamin-C improves the health of our gums. Include lots of citrus fruits, tomatoes, spinach, peppers
- Have a diet rich in Fibre. Eating Fibre rich fresh fruits and vegetables increases saliva flow and has a natural cleansing action on our teeth
Avoid the following food items for a good oral health-
- Stucky candies and sweets/ sugary foods- If at all you like to have sweets, have it at the time of your main meals, when saliva flow is higher and the sweets will get wasted quickly.
- Soft breads, pizza, pasta and other refined food items
- Aerated/ carbonated drinks
- Limit frequent snacking between meals
For a great oral health, follow the below mentioned tips in addition to having a balanced nutritious diet-
- Brushing twice a day with fluoridated Toothpaste
- Floss once a day. Try to use a water flosser preferably .
- Drink fluoridated water
- Visit a dentist once in 6 months
We, at Thyme Dental, Mega Mall, DLF Phase 1,Golf Course Road, Gurgaon, emphasize on total preventive care for our patients Ina completely safe and sterile manner. This includes regular check-ups, regular cleaning visits and continued oral health routines.
Dr. Alka Yadav
Dr Alka brings with her many years of rich experience in the field of dentistry. The idea of starting Thyme Dental was to provide world class treatment to her patients at an affordable price. Since the time of graduating from BRS Dental College, Panchkula in 2005, she has been an active clinician having worked with corporate setups, government hospital and super specialty hospitals..Read More
Why Choose Thyme Dental Clinic
Conveniently located in Mega Mall, DLF Phase I, Golf Course Road, Gurgaon, we offer world class dental treatment in an aesthetically designed modern dental clinic, where PATIENT CARE and QUALITY are given utmost importance. We take pride in letting our patients know that their safety is of utmost importance to us, and thus, we follow strict aseptic and barrier techniques.Read More
Latest blog articles
- Need a Root Canal Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on What to Expect Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Smile Makeover Treatment- Nine Tips To Maintain Best Results Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Soft, medium, or hard-bristle toothbrushes. Which is best for your dental care? Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- A Root Canal Treatment Will Improve Your Health Not Harm It Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Is a sweet tooth good or bad? Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Root Canal Treatment – Purpose, Procedure, and Risks Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?