Teeth are the brightest and most noticeable feature of your face. But swelling in the jaw or experiencing tooth pain can be scary. Root canal treatment therapy can help you quickly remove the infection and feel better. Most importantly, the procedures involved in root canal treatment cost you very little.
Table Of Content
- What do you mean by root canal?
- The Purpose – When and Why Do You Need Root Canal Therapy?
- Advantages of RCT Treatment
- What Are Some Common Causes of Pulp Damage?
- The Root Canal Treatment Procedure
- Answer to Some of The Common Post-Procedure Questions
- Risks Associated with Root Canal Treatment
- Take Away
What Do you Mean by Root Canal?
The root canal is the pulp inside your tooth that supports tooth growth. It is a hollow region that contains blood vessels, connective tissues and nerves. This root holds a tooth to your jawbone. Root or pulp offers moisture and helps nourish a tooth. RCT dental procedure is endodontic therapy.
The Purpose – When and Why Do You Need the Root Canal Therapy?
A tooth comprises two sections – a crown and the root canal or pulp. It would help if you underwent root canal treatment when the crown remains intact, but the pulp is dead. One needs this treatment when the soft inner region of the tooth becomes infected. Removing the damaged or infected pulp helps the tooth to sustain longer.
In short, the dentist suggests undergoing root canal treatment when the tooth’s pulp is either injured, inflamed or infected. Negligence in taking care can lead to lasting damage to your tooth.
You may have to lose your tooth in case of a delay.
Moreover, consider visiting a dentist if you are experiencing noticeable inflammation around your jaws and gums and severe pain. Followings are common symptoms of damaged root canal –
- Intense pain in your tooth
- Sudden swelling around the jaw
- A sensation of heat around your jawbones and gums
- Discolouration of teeth
- Repetitive pimples on the gum
Dentists generally use digital x-rays to diagnose a damaged root canal.
Advantages of RCT Treatment
This therapy has numerous added advantages –
- It is virtually a pain-free process
- It helps you in chewing efficiently with the same tooth
- Results are visually appealing
- You can protect your natural tooth
- Procedures of root canal treatment cost lesser compared to other procedures
What Are Some Common Causes of Pulp Damage?
The followings are some common reasons which can affect the pulp health and lead to RCT treatment –
- Trauma or external injury to a tooth
- Cracks and chips in the tooth
- The side-effect of multiple procedures performed on the same tooth
- An untreated cavity ultimately leads to deep decay in the teeth.
The Root Canal Treatment Procedure
The procedure generally takes around 2 to 3 sessions to complete. The number of sessions depends on the severity of the tooth infection. Dentists usually perform the RCT dental therapy in the four steps mentioned below.
- Step #1 Anaesthesia
The dentist puts some anaesthetic medication on the gum near the tooth. After it starts taking effect, the dentist will inject a local anaesthetic agent into your gums. You may feel a burning sensation for a little while till the medication starts working. This anesthetic will keep you free from pain during the entire root canal treatment procedure.
- Step #2 Cleaning Root Canal
After the anaesthesia takes full effect, the dentist will clear everything inside the root canal. Dentists consider it the most important part of the RCT dental process. Dentists’ skills and anaesthesia make this a pain-free procedure nowadays.
- Step #3 Root Canal Filing
Dentists use irrigation solutions and tiny files to perform the step. Root canal treatment price has dropped significantly due to the efficiency of instruments and dentists in the filing process. In this step, you will undergo the following procedures –
- Dental Cleaning
- Dental Shaping
Further, using adhesive cement, dentists seal the canal thoroughly. You will not feel pain if no tissue or infection is left during RCT treatment.
- Step For Tooth Filling or Crowning
The last part of RCT treatment is crowning or tooth filling. Though the tooth will continue to receive nourishments from an attached ligament, it becomes more brittle. A crown gives the teeth adequate firmness and delivers protection to them. Dentists recommend not to use the tooth while chewing before they complete the crowning process.
Answer to Some of The Common Post-Procedure Questions
Dentists take care of all the patients’ queries after root canal treatment. But here are answers to some of the most common questions among the patients undergoing the procedure.
- Recovery Time – The complete recovery procedure takes less than a week. You can feel mild discomfort around the tooth in question initially.
- Post-procedure Diet – Wait until the effect of anaesthesia wears off. You can start with yogurts and mashed potatoes. Start eating solid food as the discomfort eases out.
- Work-life Resumption – You can start going to the office or school from the very next day after RCT dental therapy. Depending on the level of discomfort, you can take an extra day’s rest if affordable.
- Longevity of Root Canaling – It can last long, even throughout your lifetime, if proper care is taken.
- Smoking or not – smoking is not recommended as it can interfere with the healing process and reduce longevity. Moreover, it may cause a stain on your teeth.
- Driving After the Procedure – It isn’t recommended until you get over the effect of anaesthesia.
Risks Associated with Root Canal Treatment
It is a low-risk procedure. But it can lead to tooth loss if the damage is too serious. The enamel becomes too fragile to undergo this RCT Dental procedure in such cases. Moreover, if the infection is antibiotic-resistant, it may result in an abscess at the tooth’s root.
RCT treatment may create problems in some of the following cases –
- In case of improper removal of infected tissues
- If sealing is improper
- Unsterilised instruments
If carried out properly, you will face no complications in the case of RCT dental therapy. Even in the case of post-RCT complications, you may only need a tooth extraction. Contact your dentist immediately if you face any problems or bleeding during recovery.
RCT treatment can bring your smile and confidence back. Modern treatment methods made this procedure almost risk-free. Thyme Dental provides you with the procedure with the least root canal treatment cost. With the best and most devoted dentists, they offer you the best
Dr. Alka Yadav
Dr Alka brings with her many years of rich experience in the field of dentistry. The idea of starting Thyme Dental was to provide world class treatment to her patients at an affordable price. Since the time of graduating from BRS Dental College, Panchkula in 2005, she has been an active clinician having worked with corporate setups, government hospital and super specialty hospitals..Read More
Why Choose Thyme Dental Clinic
Conveniently located in Mega Mall, DLF Phase I, Golf Course Road, Gurgaon, we offer world class dental treatment in an aesthetically designed modern dental clinic, where PATIENT CARE and QUALITY are given utmost importance. We take pride in letting our patients know that their safety is of utmost importance to us, and thus, we follow strict aseptic and barrier techniques.Read More
Latest blog articles
- Visit the Dental Clinic in Golf course road, Gurgaon, to treat all dental problems. Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Invisible and Ceramic Braces in Gurgaon Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Need a Root Canal Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on What to Expect Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Smile Makeover Treatment- Nine Tips To Maintain Best Results Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- Soft, medium, or hard-bristle toothbrushes. Which is best for your dental care? Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?
- A Root Canal Treatment Will Improve Your Health Not Harm It Are you having trouble finding an appropriate theme for your website?